Friday, August 31, 2007

Back from The Port...

I am back from my three and half month journey in Portland, OR. It was a great time had by all. I made friends for life, crossed many bridges, went through many tunnells (honked everytime), learned how to clap and stomp at the same time (thanks Ike), grew spiritually, went berry picking, fell in love with so many kids, said pop or soda instead of the generic coke, drove by Donald Miller's house everyday I could-do not judge me, came really close to hitting many a pedestrian (they will just start walking across the street), saw mountains daily, hiked the waterfalls, was able to breath because of the real trees, never had to pump my own gas-it was great, sweat my butt off daily (thanks to no A/C anywhere), rode on public transportation, went to the market, saw many crazy people, had bubble tea, ate some good salmon, laughed, loved, hugged, prayed, talked, had a blast and most importantly saw a handful of vanagons daily. Those are just a few things from my adventure. I have to admit it took a little bit for me to fall in love with it, but once I did it was head over heels. The mountains are beautiful and the morning air is just right. I absolutely loved that downtown is split by the Willamette river, it is amazing. Walking around downtown is wonderful. Oh yeah and I had to get used to walking everywhere. That is just what they do and I it grew on me. I enjoyed immensely that everyone just does their own thing. It does not matter what is in style or the latest trend, people just wear and do what they want. People are kind and not judgemental. The people in Portland are crazy they start random parades in the street, many women do not wear bras, sometimes you cannot tell what gender they are, mohawks were frequent hairstyles on kids, riding on really tall bikes and many other things that I frankly should not mention on here. At first my comments were "only in Portland", but I quickly got used to it so I hardly noticed the strange happenings. It was a great summer. I took over 2000 pictures all summer. The summer program went by very quickly, but it was fantastic. I actually feel bad now when I throw a can or plastic bottle in the trash can. Worshiping at Pump was awesome. I am forever thankful to be a part of the pump family. I think the most important thing I learned was to just live simply.

8 comments:

ewall said...

awesome description kenli. I am glad you had a great summer there, look forward to hearing more about it, i know you were a blessing there. love you much--

Kristi said...

Being as odd as you are, you are a perfect fit here. You always have a home in NoPo! Looking forward to seeing you and Em when you take a road trip here soon. :-)

JENNY said...

That's great, Kenli. I'm glad you had such an awesome summer. I loved your description of Portland. Sounds like an interesting, fun place to live.

Allan W. said...

Kenli, I'm so glad you feel like family - you always seemed to click from day one.

I fell in love with Stumptown, too. It took one drive to Portland through the gorge, and I was hooked. The rest of it grew on me.

I hope you do end up this-a-way eventually. I think it suits you.

Unknown said...

I wanna go. Let's take a vacation and go back? Want to?

Sarah Megan said...

Kenli,
Man great description of PDX.
I miss it.
But I miss it a little because you were there and you arent here...boooo

I miss you

Anonymous said...

I know what bubble tea is!!!!! I drank it everyday in Thailandia. I'm so glad you were able to do that. It's perfect for you.

kaelea said...

Can you guess who I am? "Alright kids! We have a special birthday today - can you guess who's birthday it is today?!" Kami, that's right and in honor of Kami I'm writing to wish you a true happy birthday on your actual birthday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope it's been a good one - we've been thinking of you most of the day! God's blessings!