Saturday, January 28, 2006

I have learned the hard way, winning is not everything...

Count yet another loss for my little 5th and 6th grade girls. Bless their hearts they are so cute, but cannot shoot a ball for the life of them. We played the other Oak Hills team today and it was what I thought to be a little better match up. Most of the other teams we have played have had girls my size, I wonder what they feed these girls. They are huge, beasts I tell you, beasts. This afternoon was a little better, we actually hit double digits. Now, I know winning is not everything, it is the only thing. Kidding, but after a while it does get to you. At least it gets to me, I think the girls just want the snack after the game. Here are some things I heard from the bench today while the game was going on: "Coach K, can I go say hi to my friend she just walked in?", "Can I give this to my dad (referring to a bracelet)?", "If we win can we go have a pizza party?", or one of my personal favorites during a time out, "coach K can I go to the bathroom?" (asked from one of the girls sitting on the bench), it was all over when a group of cheerleaders came in loud and decked out in blue I had lost them, they started asking me what they were doing. No you may not go say hi to your friend. No, you cannot give that to your dad during the game. A pizza party if you win? You have never won, try that before planning the celebration. Sure you can go to the bathroom. I have no clue what those girls are doing, focus on the game. Now, those questions tell me they do not give a rat's tail. At least I am having fun and so are they, most of the time. This is my humble lesson, but I still love winning.
On a side note: The friends thing might be a rumor, stink.

8 comments:

Matt Foster said...

"coach K" -- mighty high aspirations my friend... i love it.

ewall said...

i feel your pain friend--remember the dynasty of abilene city league--the warriors? :) the team that we put together based on the cuteness of their names? my favorite was when elijah would be teaching a play, i would be spaced out on the baseline, and the boys around me would be having armpit farting competitions. nice.

here's to winless teams, 0-8.

love you friend, i know you are doing a great job with those girls!

Me said...

Hey whats up! So where are you working?? Are you putting everything you learned in class to work?? jk!! haha

Cody Blair said...

I love that you make them call you Coach K. keep those dreams alive Kenli

JENNY said...

haha! I love it Kenli! You still make me laugh so hard!

Kara said...

Now I have two favorite coaches who are "Coach K". (I am a HUGE Duke B-ball fan)

Jenna said...

Oh kenli...you need to come help me post my pictures. I was so much better on the computer when you were sitting next to me in the office. :) Know that you are missed today...

Rosalyn said...

Ken...love ya mean it!! Ros