Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I get it now...

As I drove away from an incredible weekend in Abilene I was reminded of a conversation I once had with my Daddy (yes I am 23 and still call him daddy). I asked him why he wanted to go back to Abilene all the time and even live there again. He said one day you will get it. Well, I did, I got it. While getting on the loop to head back to San Antonio I got it. At that moment I understood what he was talking about. The love, the community, the hugs, the smiles, the laughter, the friendships, the campus, and the familiarity of the small town. I like Abilene, I said it and I mean it.
This weekend was so great not only to get away but to spend time with people that I used to see everyday on my way to class or on my work "errands" that took me hours. Sing song was wonderful, weird to not be a part of the show, but sweet to look on from the audience and watch a 2 minute segment that I knew had been worked on and toiled over for months to get it perfect and perfect it was, drama and all.

I got to see and visit with old friends that were part of my life for four years and still are in different ways. It is great to go back and eat the food, see the people, and of course sing 'The Lord bless you and Keep you'.
Hall and I soaked up every minute while we were there. We ran back in Moody when we heard of the malfunction, we walked around campus, we went to the mall, we ate with best friends, we stayed with a best friend, I got to eat with an old friend that was there for lectureship and just soak up his wisdom and hear more of his journey, we ate at Rosas, Bueno, Chicken Express, shopped in the campus store, and just saw friends the entire time. I asked a few times if there was anything else Hall wanted to do while in Abilene and all she said was, "walk around campus". Reading this you might think I still live in the old days, the college years, but I do not. I was just reminded this weekend of how great it was and how much it impacted my life and how awesome the friends I have from that experience.
So, friends, thanks for what you mean to me. It was great seeing you all this weekend and catching up on how life is and all that it brings.

8 comments:

Kat said...

Kenli,
I totally get it too...so sad that I couldnt see you this weekend.

Cassie said...

I couldn't agree more. As we saw the campus from the highway coming in I got so sad that we didn't live there anymore. It was, in a big way, all of our first "homes"

I was reminded why it is such a special place to live and grow. People there are unbelievable and the city is so inviting. Couldn't wait to leave and now I LOVE going back:)

It was so good to see you--even just for a little while.

Kara said...

Kenli-
Since I have not left Abilene, it is hard to miss it, but I think I know what you are talking about. More and more it is drawing me in. There is a comfort here that is like none other.
It was great seeing you, although I wish we could have hung out more. Maybe when we plan a trip to Austin you could drive there and all meet up. just maybe.

JENNY said...

I loved seeing you, Kenli. I can definitely relate to what you just wrote. I feel the same way- my time in Abilene was a huge blessing. It feels good to appreciate it so much. After this weekend, Chris and I decided we want to move back after we finish school. (I have a feeling that alot of us were thinking that. haha! Who knows?) Anyways, I love you and I hope we see each other more often when we move back to Texas!

Kate said...

Kenli,
I understand your college nostalgia. It is amazing how much you can grow and how close you can get to other people in just 4 years! It is such a blessing to see people come back "home." Glad you had a great weekend and that you're doing well in San Antonio!

Rosalyn said...

Ken I'm right there with you on all you said...love you...Ros

Anonymous said...

I know we don't talk and haven't in a long time, but I enjoy reading your posts on here. I know what you mean about coming home after being somewhere. When I moved back to Burleson from Austin, it was the greatest moment of my life. At that point, I realized what I had left behind and vowed to never make that same mistake ever again.

Jen said...

you are coming tomorrow!!!!!!!!!