Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Bad News Bears

Last night we had our first basketball practice. To catch you up, there is a church league here and 1st grade through adults can play. There are 26 teams and I am kind of the intramural director of Oak Hills. I have really enjoyed it, though it has had its low points; you know, parents complaining about their son not being with a certain friend or practice being too late or too early or my son broke his leg so he cannot play can we have a refund the list could go on forever. Those low points have really turned into high points. I have learned plenty and hope that continues. I have met so many people here at the church through this and am really finding joy through this experience. Enough background already. So, last night we had practice, if you can call it that. I am coaching 5th and 6th grade girls and helping with 7th and 8th grade girls. Now, cute is pretty much all the 5th and 6th graders have and believe me they are adorable. But, talk about your bad news bears. Think we might just have to go for fun instead of that stellar winning record. I will keep you updated as to how bad we lose once games begin.
Today begins a different day for me, I shall do something that I have spoken about for almost 4 years now. On many different occasions I have said, "I will do that tomorrow" For those of you that know me well, know what I am talking about. That is right, you guessed it, running. I will run today. I plan to run tues. through sat. and take sun. and mon. off. I might or might not keep you updated on that subject. Please pray that I do not die around 4:30 or 5:00 today. I will not mention that my plan was to get up early and start the day off with a good run.

Now, I leave you with this question: Where do the people that stand on the corner at the lights asking for money or work or whatever else, get those sharpies, they are always crisp and right out of the package?

9 comments:

JENNY said...

Kenli,

Good luck with the run! haha! Actually, it will probably be pretty rough in San Antonio...isn't it still really warm?

I'm glad you are having such a great experience with Oak Hills. Praying for you friend. I love and miss you!

Kara said...

That sharpie question was a good one. I always wonder why they use old nasty cardboard. If you can get ahold of a sharpie, then surely you can get your hands on a really cool sign or white posterboard. Maybe we should go into marketing for the homeless.

D Pitt said...

Running, Really? I'll believe it when I read it...
It was good to see you last weekend in my visit to SA, Hopefully I'll be back down there soon.
I think that you should name your girls team the "Banana Slugs II"

Matt Foster said...

It's actually an underground ring of conspirators. You see, all disenfranchised people begging on the streets for money are actually a part of a union which meet tri-annually in a secret Colorado mountain installation known as... the meadows. Part of their union dues require that they find the nastiest, used cardboard and brand new sharpies. Where do you think they come up with the creative signs like "Why lie, I need beer"

Blake and Moriah said...

Running?? You?? Hmm... Don't you wish that you and I were in the same town so we could "run" together? I miss you like crazy. I'm still praying that God will push to Nashville when He is finished with you in San Antonio! I love you!

MoMo

Rosalyn said...

Ken,(Intramural Director) Please!!!! Wear your Siggie Intramural shirt when you coach and once you come up with a name insert it in this chant..." Proud to be a ...Poud to be a ..." K! Love you miss you need you...Ros

Kat said...

Kenli,
Sometimes I don't want to post a comment on your blog because you already have so many? How do you do it, you always were more popular than me...

JENNY said...

Excuse me Kenli, I need to say something to Kat on here. Kat, Kenli pays people to comment on her blog....a good $2 per sentence.

Chelsie Sargent said...

Friend, Hello!!! found your blog through Jenny's, just thought I would say hello and wish you the best in San Antonio!!

-Chelsie Sargent